This is Coach Mike’s speech in front of the Fairfax County, Virginia, School Board on September 22, 2016 to voice his concern over the imprudent immoral gender identity policy (time: 12’03).
Speech Techniques used:
- Speak without the script
- Vocal variety to show anger
- Eye contact to each board member
- Storytelling: A Japanese teacher
- Compare and contrast (Japan vs US)
- Alliteration and Echo: intrusive and abusive, happy and healthy
- Hand gesture
- Power of Three: re-consider, re-align and re-establish
- Prop: a dollar bill
- Full circle: loving, caring and nurturing environment.
- Ask rhetorical questions: why do we waste time on nonsensical issue?
- Use emotional words: rock my bones, shook my core and made me ashamed
I thank Coach Alice and fellow Toastmaster Laura, DTM, for their precious coaching points.