Speak to Lead LLC has hosted an open house of its 701 offering: Business Writing and Corporate Communication for Career Success. You can view the hour-long recording at
Here is the summary of the workshop:
We discussed the developmental needs of professionals to (1) communicate concisely and precisely in business writing; (2) speak clearly and confidently in various corporate settings (conference call, team meeting, happy hour, and negotiation); and (3) choose the right vocabulary in various scenarios and circumstances.
We analyzed a sample resume, a sample business email and a sample business letter.
- Tips about resume writing: (1) make sure the objective and education/experience are closely aligned; (2) use action-driven verbs; and (3) enrich the content to capture the key words in your profession and manifest your experience relevant to the job requirement.
- Tips about email writing: (1) avoid over-communicating, (2) create a clear subject line, (3) keep message clear and brief, (4) be polite and professional, and (5) proof read to avoid any sloppiness in writing.
- Tips about business letter: (1) put audience as the priority, (2) improve the readability, (3) focus on conciseness, precision and specificity, (4) be mindful of grammar usage, and (5) choose the right words.
- Writing sample deep dive
- Individual writing critique
- Presentation skill exercise
- Role playing and evaluation
- One-to-one coaching
About the Coaches:
Coach Margaret-Ann Williams, Master of Arts in Journalism and Master of Science in Library Science, and Advanced Communicator Silver of Toastmaster International. She has extensive and varied professional writing experience over more than 25years, including articles, newsletters, press releases, long copy, web copy, brochures, marketing product sheets, magazines and book length publications. She is also experienced in communications activities for both corporate and government sectors, such as public relations, stakeholder relations, formal internal document writing, project support, intranet team site co-ordination, publication co-ordination.
Coach Mike Nie, CFA, CPA and MBA. Mike has over 19 years of professional experiences in the financial and accounting industry, including 13 years in a managerial, directorial, and executive capacity. He now works as a branch chief at a federal financial regulatory agency, dealing with financial market and risk management matters. Before that, Mike held leadership positions in a federal public accounting regulatory body and a Big Four accounting firm. Mike is a Chartered Financial Analyst charter-holder and a Certified Public Accountant in Virginia. He also obtained an MBA degree in finance from Robert H. Smith Business School at the University of Maryland. He received his bachelor’s degree in Finance at Nankai University, Tianjin, China.
Coach Mike has coached over 100 professionals and graduates in job interview skills, career advancement, accent reduction, public speaking, critical thinking and business writing. He has been a member of panels at the Ascend Career Development Seminar, Ascend Inspiring Across Generations Conference, CFA Chinese Charter Career Fair, and Nankai Alum Career Development Workshop. Ascend is the largest, non-profit Pan-Asian organization for business professionals in North America.
Virtual classroom: Zoom.us. Meeting ID TBD. Every Saturday 6pm EST starting from February 2017.
Company website: http://SpeaktoLead.us. Select class 701.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org