- Modify, through coaching and self-training, a non-native speaker’s pronunciation to render it more easily and effectively understood by native English speakers
- Develop the standard American accent, the form of speech used by newscasters and other media broadcasters in the U.S.
- Enhance your professional advancement with polished, elegant English accent
- Improve the quality of daily life with pleasant colloquial English
Accent Reduction / American English Development 12-Week Course Syllabus
- 自我评价 Self-evaluation exercise (prior and after the program)
- 职场和生活常用词Frequently used words in the professional life and daily life
- 元音 Vowels: long vowels, short vowels, and R-controlled vowels
- 辅音 Consonants: L, F vs V, W vs V, L vs N, L vs R, zzz, zh, t, S vs TH
- 吞音 Dropped sounds (e.g., camera, favorite, and beverage)
- 连读 Linking (e.g., a lot of fun, everyone else, and kick off)
- 切入 Insert: w and y (go out, feel, and pool)
- 重音 Word stress (e.g., I didn’t say you delayed the project)
- 语调 Intonation – rise and fall, pitch, and pace
- 复杂词汇 Long words (e.g., characterization, statistics, hierarchical, and equilibrium)1.口腔肌肉练习3.美国之音特殊英语 / TED Talk
课程地址: Zoom.us. Meeting code: will provide upon registration.
See a sample coaching material on “th”: those vs thanks.
Please record your self-assessment by reading out this document and send back your voice recording to Coach Mike at email@example.com for a free assessment.
Sample Study materials (70 sets of slides in total):
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Letter to her Daughter: Accent Reduction Class 24 Read a great letter
- How to order coffee at Starbucks: Accent Reduction Class 29 Starbucks Coffee
- TED Talk Analysis: Three Things I Learned While My Plane Crashed: Accent Reduction Class 36 Ted Talk – Three Things I Learned While My Plane Crashed
My English got improved a lot after taking the “Accent Reduction Class.” Coach Mike corrected my ending sounds like “m,” “r,” and “t,” and vowels like “a”, difficult pronunciations like “sh,” “sch” and “th.” Now at least I don’t need to repeat my sentences when I talk to people especially over the phone. The weekly evaluation on my homework really helps a lot. Mike can exactly point out all wrong pronunciations I made.
At my workplace, before I took this class, usually my boss would not ask me to do a training to other people. After 10 weeks classes with Mike, one day I did an hour training when the regular trainer was absent. After that, when my boss asked my co-worker whether she could understand what I said, my co-worker said “yes, even better.” I feel so happy about that.
In Northern Virginia
Since I started with Mike’s accent reduction class, I have been paying more attention to how native speakers talk. Mike provides a service (for a small fee) to evaluate your recordings and pinpoint where you need to improve. I found the feedback very useful to help me improve. To reduce our foreign accent, we need to figure out what goes wrong first (e.g., there are many words with silent “t” that I didn’t realize before taking the class, although we use the words on a daily basis).
Coach Mike’s class provides students with impromptu opportunities to speak to the whole class without advance preparation. Students also learn useful patterns in business settings such as conference call, negotiation and interview.
If you want to improve your spoken English, take the class.
Qian Kun In Northern Virginia
I am taking the American Accent class with Coach Mike in the 2015 Spring semester. Mike’s class is well designed and organized. There are always a lot of different, interactive activities that actively challenge both my pronunciation and communication abilities, and our class has a lot of fun doing those activities. Mike is helpful and encouraging, and I always look forward to attending his class. Overall, I have had a great experience so far. I have made significant improvement in both my pronunciation and communication skills. I would recommend this class to anyone interested in improving their English.
The accent reduction class really helps me improve my accent. Not only do I get extensive training in the class, the after-class exercises also prove to be indispensable for continuous improvement. The class is more than accent reduction. It also touches upon many valuable topics, for example, workplace communications, negotiation, education, sales, etc.
I can’t thank Mike enough. He is very dedicated and passionate. His enthusiasm is contagious. I couldn’t ask for more from the class.